We’ve all been there.
It’s easy to forego taking a lunch break when you’re drowning in deadlines.
But at the risk of sounding like concerned parents, we’d like to tell you that you should take your break – even if not for the full amount of allotted time.
A break will not only help you refresh and refocus, you’re likely to be more productive and in a better mood, too!
Now, doesn’t that sound nice?
Here are some ways to make the most of your lunch break:
- Take an actual break. Get AWAY from your desk. Take a walk. Work out. DO something – anywhere but at your desk!
- Unplug. Turn off your phone. Don’t watch TV. Step away from the computer. Get some fresh air. Maybe head to a park. Take the time to relax and just enjoy a brief separation from all things technological.
- Read a book. Dive into another world. It will help you relax and take your mind off work for a little while. (But don’t read at your desk!)
- Spend your break with someone you enjoy. Make the decision to spend lunch with those who make you smile and laugh, and who are generally positive people. Avoid spending lunch time with individuals who drain you. You’re trying to relax, not get more stressed or tired.
- Do something fun. Get a massage. Get a mani/pedi. Go shopping. Just do something that makes you happy.
- Build your network. Invite a colleague, your boss, someone from another department, etc., to lunch. It will not only allow you to create strong professional relationships, it will enable you to expand your network as well.
- EAT! This is the most important thing to do on your lunch break. Food is not only necessary, it replenishes your energy tanks. With so little time and so many things to do, it is tempting to use free time for running errands, but you should never forget to eat!
Taking a break, an actual break from your desk or office, will go a long way in helping you relax and regroup. You will have more energy to get your work done and you’ll likely be much happier – and nicer to be around.
If you don’t think a lunch break will help you feel less overwhelmed in the workplace, you might be in need of a new job.
Reach out to us! At TERRA we are committed to helping people find a job that is right for them. We understand that Right Fit™ matters.
Contact us today to find out how we can help.