People have a tendency to look down on temporary work. They say they want a “real” job.
Well, not only is a temporary position “real”, it is a great option for your next job.
Here are five reasons why:
- A temporary position allows you to “test-drive” different industries, since staffing firms are well-connected to many companies in various fields. This is a great opportunity for someone looking for something new or who isn’t quite sure what’s next for them. Sampling jobs is a great way to uncover what’s right, and not right, for you!
- Doing contract work is better than not working at all. Not only does it bridge the gap, temporary work can become full-time, regular work. And don’t make the assumption that all temporary assignments are short, one day gigs. Some last years and some are open-ended.
- Working temporary jobs allows you to both build your professional network and gain new professional references Have you heard the expression, “It’s all about who you know”? Well, who you know definitely makes a difference in the job market.
- Doing temporary work can provide a daily sense of purpose and revitalize you. This is especially necessary for individuals who have been terminated or laid off from previous positions and whose confidence might be shaken.
- Use a temporary position to gain experience in an area pertinent to your career. Enhancing your skills not only keeps you sharp, it’s a great way to remain relevant in the workplace. So take advantage of a temporary assignment and use it to add skills to your professional tool belt!
If you are in search of a new career opportunity, keep an open mind regarding contract or temporary work.
At TERRA, we are helping make successful placements on a daily basis. Just reach out to us today and tell us about your goals, needs and expectations. And if you are concerned about a temporary opportunity not offering benefits, TERRA employees are eligible to receive ACA compliant health insurance, paid holidays and much more.
To learn more about our services and how we can help you with your job search, contact us.
At TERRA, we are committed to helping talented individuals find the Right FIt™. Let us help!