Companies hire temporary employees for a number of reasons. Often, companies seek to improve their bottom line and their flexibility by bringing on one or more temporary employees to handle a temporary increase in workload or to fill a crucial “skills gap” while the company seeks a long-term replacement.
Like any staffing arrangement, temporary employees are the best choice for certain situations. If you’re seeing any of these seven signs in your organization, it may be time to hire temporary workers:
- High employee turnover and/or worker burnout: If turnover is high or the job imposes a great deal of pressure on those who perform it, working with temporary staff can help reduce the costs of turnover and alleviate some of the pressure.
- Seasonal or one-time projects: If your organization faces a “staffing crunch” due to a seasonal or one-time increase in responsibilities, temporary workers can help your staff through the tough times without imposing year-round costs.
- Significant increases in staffing needs: If you need to bring on a large number of new workers in a short period of time, temporary employees may be the answer. Experienced staffing firms typically provide some or all of the training these workers need to get up to speed quickly.
- Positions that require a very specific skill: Finding the right person for the job can be harder for some positions than others. Temporary workers allow your organization to work with someone on a trial basis before extending a long-term job offer.
- A need to save time: Temporary workers are screened by their staffing firms, alleviating the need for your staff to spend time talking to references or scouring resumes.
- A need to reduce labor costs: From placing job ads to onboarding, hiring a new employee is an expensive proposition. Temporary workers can help your organization reduce these costs and the risks of choosing the wrong person for the job.
- An uncertain future: Whether the business is seeking to ease the “growing pains” of rapid expansion or isn’t sure whether it will stay open through the next quarter, temporary workers can help ensure that work gets finished on time.
If you believe temporary employees are right for your organization or you want to learn more, don’t hesitate to contact your staffing partner. At TERRA Staffing, our experienced recruiters can help you find the temporary employees you need. Contact us today to learn more!