It’s a common conception that staffing agencies are a waste of time.
And, sadly, the industry has done a lot to contribute to that belief.
So, it’s really no surprise that people hesitate to partner with a staffing agency on their job search. After all, who wants to work with a company, or for an industry, that has such a negative reputation?
But here’s the reality: staffing agencies help employ millions of people each year.
If you’ve been burned by a staffing agency, don’t lose hope. We are going to help you sidestep those agencies that actually are a waste of time and teach you how to find those agencies that can actually help you.
Why Do People Say Staffing Agencies Are a Waste of Time?
When someone says that a staffing agency is a waste of time, the odds are pretty high that they’ve had a negative experience with a staffing firm. Or perhaps someone shared a story of a bad staffing experience with them.
A negative experience could mean that:
- the staffing firm was not able to find them work.
- they were unable to secure long-term employment.
- the staffing firm didn’t have the types of jobs they were looking for.
- they were placed on assignments that weren’t the right fit.
These are all valid reasons to feel dissatisfied with a staffing firm. But does that mean that all staffing agencies are a waste of time?
According to the American Staffing Association, there are more than 20,000 staffing companies in the United States, operating out of about 39,000 offices.
It’s hard to imagine that all staffing agencies are unhelpful. The issue may be that people are not doing enough research before choosing a staffing firm.
Do Your Homework
Not all staffing firms are created equal.
Before deciding what staffing agency to work with, do a little investigating. Make sure that the staffing firm you decide to partner with is reputable and has a track record of success.
There is a lot of information available to you: websites, job boards, reviews, awards… you can even check out a company’s social media presence to determine if they are right for you.
But with so many staffing agencies out there, that might be a little daunting.
Inavero, an independent third-party research firm, in collaboration with CareerBuilder, has put together a list of the top staffing agencies in your area. These recruitment companies have been awarded the coveted title of Best of Staffing®, for earning industry-leading satisfaction scores based on client and job candidate reviews.
Fun fact: Fewer than 2% of all staffing agencies in the U.S. and Canada earn the Best of Staffing Award.
Click here to find the best staffing agencies near you!
Choose a Staffing Agency That’s the Right Fit for You
We asked Senior Recruiter Stephanie Launius, based out of our Tukwila office, to share her perspective on how to best leverage a partnership with a staffing firm.
She shared, “It’s important to do your homework to make sure that a particular staffing agency is worth reaching out to. For example, if you’re looking for an IT help desk role and apply with an agency that specializes in industrial placement, you’re probably not going to leave the office very happy.
“Staffing agencies are best utilized when you have an idea of what type of work you want but are still open to other opportunities. Many of our candidates apply for one position but find that another opportunity we have is a better fit.
“Don’t forget to utilize the agencies strengths. Ask for interview prep, resume feedback and find out if there is anything else you can do to make yourself a stronger candidate. Remember that the staffing agency is invested in your success so do what you can to help yourself be successful.”
How to Make the Most Out of a Staffing Relationship
Having a successful relationship with your staffing partner is easy.
Here are three things you can do to set yourself up to win:
- Treat your interview like a real interview – because it IS. Show up on time. Come prepared. Be ready to discuss your skills and experience. This not only helps make a good impression, it helps a recruiter get a clearer picture of you as a job applicant.
- Keep an open mind. Know that while a recruiter may want to help you find your dream job, they might be limited. Let them know what your goals are, but also let them know where you are flexible.
- Communicate honestly with your recruiter. The more a recruiter knows what’s on your mind, the more they can help you. And the less likely they are to disappoint you.
A staffing agency can help you land a great career, bridge the gap between jobs, build your skill set, or help you earn additional income.
But, at the end of the day, it’s important to remember that a staffing agency is an additional resource, and that you should play just as active a part in your job search.
Partner with Us
At TERRA, our mission is simple: Success Stories Created Daily.
Every year we help thousands of people find employment across multiple industries.
- Lyndee Hakim, who found herself laid off and needed to find employment to support her family. (Check out Lyndee’s story.)
- Xavier McArthur, who was eager to gain experience and build his resume. (Check out Xavier’s story.)
- Michael Ford, who needed more financial stability when he learned he was going to be a father. (Check out Michael’s story.)
- Lane Jones, a recent college grad who was moving to Seattle and needed to find a job fast. (Check out Lane’s story.)
- Jocelyn Walker, who was feeling stretched thin at work and needed a better work-life balance. (Check out Jocelyn’s story.)
Regardless of your situation, we can help.
TERRA has been named to Inavero’s Best of Staffing® list seven years running, and job seekers who work with us are more likely to be satisfied with the help they receive.
So, don’t delay! Reach out to us.