Walking the Transgender Tightrope: How to Balance Culture and Compliance in the Modern Workplace
Activity has been Approved for HRCI and SHRM Re-Certification Credits
Jodi Slavik Vigilant
In recent years, the public was captivated with news stories about Bruce Jenner’s transformation into Caitlyn Jenner. Almost 3 million viewers watched the first episode of the reality series “I Am Cait.” However, transgender isn’t just a Hollywood buzzword, nor is it isolated to urban office environments. According to a report by the Williams Institute in 2016, approximately 1.4 million adults in the United States identify as transgender. No doubt that number has increased dramatically in the last year.
Currently, 20 states and the District of Columbia have passed laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of gender identity, and several federal agencies have issued related guidance. While some businesses have cutting-edge diversity practices, others are still struggling to keep sex jokes off the shop floor. In Walking the Transgender Tightrope: How to Balance Culture and Compliance in the Modern Workplace, Jodi arms all employers with the most recent information they need to know to be compliant and culturally relevant. She will also address the most common concerns regarding transgender employees, including complying with ever-changing laws, updating internal records and policies, responding to co-workers , stopping harassment, protecting privacy, and making restrooms safe and friendly for all.
- Understand current legal and regulatory requirements regarding transgender individuals
- Apply legal requirements and best practices to create a compliant workplace for the transgender community
- Identify methods for helping company managers and leadership assess and improve culture
- Understand best practices for handling a transgender employee’s transition
- List of current legal requirements that need to be addressed in all workplaces
- List of policies that need to be reviewed to ensure compliance with transgender laws
- Best practices for transforming workplace culture for inclusion of transgender individuals
- Best practices for handling a transgender employee’s transition
Jodi Slavik, Employment Attorney & Strategic Services Director, Vigilant. Jodi proudly provides counsel to Washington State businesses on employment issues, including training of HR professionals, managers, supervisors, and employees on a range of liability and leadership issues. Her goal is to help employers sleep at night by giving them immediate, relatable, and realistic advice to the stickiest employee problems. As Vigilant’s Strategic Services Director, Jodi is also responsible for the stability and growth of major accounts in Washington and Idaho, as well as ensuring unparalleled service for Vigilant member companies. Before joining Vigilant in 2011, Jodi served 15 years as an in-house trade association counsel, including roles as general counsel, environmental lobbyist, and class instructor. It is in the classroom that Jodi is at her best—distilling and conveying complex, controversial information in an immediately useful, entertaining way.