Summer may feel as if it’s a long way away, but the seasonal staffing “rush” that comes with the summer months will be here before you know it.
Here are six things you need to keep in mind to ensure that you aren’t left scrambling:
- You may need temp help even if you don’t experience a summer “rush.” Many employees take long vacations in the summer. Contract workers can help you ensure that the business’s needs are met and that you can accommodate everyone’s vacation plans. It’s a win-win!
- To look ahead, start by looking back. To start planning for summer seasonal hiring this year, look back at last year’s approach. Did you use a staffing plan? If so, find a copy of it and evaluate it. What worked well? What didn’t? What needs to change to accommodate the ways in which your business has grown? Use your answers to these questions to make your plans for this year.
- Keep laws and regulations in mind. Federal and state agencies have begun “cracking down” on contract and temporary employment. By working with a staffing firm, you can help ensure that the employer of record is clear, so your temp staff can focus on their work.
- Prepare your staff for the seasonal change. Before contract workers arrive, prepare your current staff for the “rush” or vacation season. Let them know what’s going to be changing, how many people will be joining the team, and what their responsibilities are with regard to the additional team members.
- Don’t just hire temp help – onboard them! Get temporary workers up to speed more quickly by planning an orientation and onboarding process. Have their work space set up before they arrive, and plan to spend time teaching them the ropes directly.
- Help is available. Whether you’re looking at a seasonal rush, a sudden shortage of your usual staff, or a specialized project, you never have to seek out qualified temporary help alone. Your staffing firm can help.
Seasonal staffing can seem daunting, but with a bit of planning and foresight you will be able to successfully equip your business with staff through the season.
At TERRA Staffing Group, our recruiters offer a full range of services, from helping you find the right candidate to crafting a strategic staffing plan that ensures you’re never left short-handed in the seasonal rush.
Find one our branches today to learn more about our recruiting services in Phoenix, Dallas, and Denver.