Are you promoting wellness on your work teams?
Wellness programs focus on preventing illness and improving health by encouraging participants to focus on nutrition, exercise, stress management and other factors. Many businesses nationwide credit drops in their health insurance costs and increases in employee engagement and productivity to their wellness programs. If you’re not promoting wellness among your employees, you may be harming the company’s bottom line as well as their individual health.
How Does a Wellness Program Help the Company?
Wellness programs offer the following benefits to companies that implement them:
- Better engagement. Employees who are encouraged to work together toward wellness build stronger bonds with one another. They also see their employer cares about their health and work-life balance, which builds their engagement with the company.
- Reduced absenteeism and turnover. Better health means fewer sick days taken, while a strong wellness program can improve employee job satisfaction and thus reduce turnover rates.
- Increased productivity. When health is good and stress is under control, employees come to work refreshed and ready to tackle the day’s challenges.
Tips for Starting a Wellness Program
To establish a wellness program within your organization:
- Talk to your staff. Which features of a wellness program do they feel would benefit them the most, and why? Their responses will help you decide what to offer immediately and what to implement in the future.
- Get the leadership on your side. Collect data on the benefits of wellness programs and their costs, so you can communicate the advantages to leadership. Your staffing partner may be able to help you collect this information.
- Plan the program. What are the goals and objectives of your wellness program? How much are you willing to spend? How will you track outcomes to determine whether the program is paying off for your staff and company?
- Include incentives and rewards. Like any workplace program, a wellness program only works if employees participate in it—and it only boosts engagement if they do so willingly. Find ways to make employees enjoy being part of the program.
An employee wellness program will help your employees be healthier and happier – and as a result – your business too! Talk with your recruitment partner about your wellness initiatives so they can be sure to highlight this to potential candidates. At TERRA Staffing, our recruiters strive to help our clients build healthy, productive workforces that boost one another’s engagement and productivity through a strong workplace culture and values. To learn more about our staffing services in Phoenix, Seattle and Portland, find one our branches today .